Yost Ice Arena (6,603 capacity) is recognized as one of the premier hockey venues in the nation and one of the toughest places for visiting teams to play. Construction of Yost Field House began in 1922, and by its completion in November 1923 became the nation's first Field House. It is named in honor of Michigan's legendary football coach and athletic director, Fielding H. Yost.
Before it became Yost Ice Arena in 1973, the building was known as Yost Field House and was the home base of Michigan varsity sports, including the great track teams of the 1950's and the Cazzie Russell-led basketball teams of the mid-1960's. It also served as practice facility for many of U-M's athletic teams, including football, baseball, and basketball. From 1973 until the present, Yost Ice Arena has been the home to the University of Michigan hockey team as well as home to area high school hockey teams, recreational leagues, the University's intramural hockey/broomball leagues and a variety of other community and university ice programs.
In the summer of 1996, Yost Ice Arena underwent a $5.5 million renovation which included first floor remodeling, north end seating, new Michigan hockey lockerroom and training facilities, second floor administrative offices and new press box facilities. These added renovations have made Yost Ice Arena a state-of-the-art facility while maintaining its historical integrity.
In the summer of 2001, Yost Ice Arena began another renovation which added a 294-seat club level balcony and lounge area, perched above the east side stands. Standing room only space was also expanded to put the total capacity at 6,603. The project cost $1.4 million and all proceeds will benefit the Michigan Hockey Scholarship Fund.
HOCKEY ATTENDANCE RECORD
Renovated in Summer 1992 ($1.2 million)
Renovated in Summer 1996 ($5.5 million)
Renovated in Summer 2001 ($1.4 million)